Director of Finance
Position Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Direct: Vice President, Accounting and Finance – Select Milk Producers (Corp)
Indirect: Chief Operations Officer / Chief Strategy Officer – Fair Oaks Farms
The Director of Finance is the senior financial leader for the Fair Oak Farms complex, recognized as the #1 agritourism destination in the Midwest. The Finance leader is responsible for the financial strategy that ensures the fiscal health and sustainability, as well as for day-to-day fiscal operations for the Fair Oak Farms family of companies. This role is accountable to produce accurate financial reports in a timely manner, to sufficiently understand the business to provide timely forecasts and insights into key operational drivers behind the numbers. The Director of Finance will effectively lead, manage, and coordinate all aspects of the Accounting Department and financial needs of the company, including administrative, financial, and risk management operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide analysis, insight, and direction to all Fair Oaks Farms entities on issues related to financial accounting, management reporting, external reporting, and internal controls.
- Manage capital requests and oversee the analysis, preparation, and review of the annual budgets for all Fair Oaks Farms legal entities.
- Manage all areas of financial accounting, reporting, analysis and interpretations of Fair Oaks Farms results, comparing the budget projections and forecasts to actual results and making appropriate recommendations to senior management for course corrections.
- Provide insight and/or recommendations for short and long-term growth plans for the organization regarding financial and accounting impact.
- Participate in and oversee the accuracy and timeliness of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Develop measures and methods to continually improve work processes (relative to accounting and finance) and increase efficiencies with the goal of enhancing the accuracy and improving timeliness of monthly financial statements.
- Lead, develop, and engage Finance team members by providing ongoing direction and feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting frequent performance reviews.
- As a “working manager”, be hands-on with the day-to-day issues of the Accounting Department, capable of stepping-in to help when needed.
- Create a positive work environment by modeling appropriate behavior and treating all employees with respect, empathy, and dignity.
- Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans.
- Keep the senior leadership team promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance, as well as positive events) and take prompt corrective action where necessary or suggest alternative courses of action.
- Ensure all company policies (relative to accounting and finance) are following US GAAP and all legal requirements are followed.
- Serve as a liaison with between external auditors and Fair Oaks Farms.
- Serve as a liaison between Fair Oaks Farms and Select Milk Producers, Inc. regarding financial performance.
- Assure that all filing deadlines between all Fair Oaks Farms legal entities and government agencies are met.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or requested.
- Credible financial history and a strong adherence to ethical standards
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, including the ability to effectively lead people, solve problems and make logical, thought-out decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to articulate recommendations and solutions in a concise and timely manner.
- Proven ability to develop and provide ongoing monitoring of control systems designed to report accurate financial results
- Proven ability to manage and develop staff and motivate employees to work as a team
- Must be able to handle the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide range of projects and assignments
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate to maximize employee morale, productivity, and effectiveness
- At all times provide a favorable image of Fair Oaks Farms to promote its philosophy, products, and services
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or finance - a Master’s degree preferred
- Current CPA certification preferred
- 8+ years of progressively responsible accounting and finance experience preferably with a major company or division of a large corporation
- High level experience with financial reporting, forecasting, and budget management
- Must be computer savvy and highly proficient in Windows, including MS Word, PowerPoint, with advanced proficiency in Excel
- Prior experience with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization is strongly desired
- Working knowledge of financial/accounting systems and software
- Financial statement consolidation experience highly desired